Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hobbies


Camping on the Creek

Every year since I was about six year old, we have been camping on the creek. My whole family from Grandma (Mammy) to the distant cousin from Ohio would come camping. Every year the first weekend of July the creek bank would be loaded, with all my family members.
Pitching the tents would usually come first, then supper; boy let me tell you about supper. Everyone brings the old Coleman stoves, perfect for cooking outdoors. I’m not talking about this city stuff like hot hogs or hamburgers, well sometimes hamburgers but not for supper.
Supper was chicken and dumplings, soup beans, cornbread, some fresh vegetables from the garden. Since it was July, everybody had fresh vegetables from their garden. After supper there would be softball, bad mitten, and volleyball. From the smallest child, to the oldest grownups (the ones that were able) they enjoyed the games.
Riding four wheelers are very popular with everybody too. I guess there are about a hundred trails to explore. Horseshoes are very popular with the older men. The old women sit and gossip about everyone else. When it gets too dark to play, that’s time for smores, then bed time.
The next morning would always start with a good breakfast. The eating is mighty fine, bacon, sausage or ham with eggs biscuits and gravy. Yes, I said biscuits. My aunt would fix biscuits. My uncle Earl bought an old gas oven at an auction and my aunt Mae would bring that thing down there on the creek and bake her biscuits. The older woman would do most of the cooking. Well, they were so much better at it. The younger woman would clean up and do the dishes. The men would sneak up the creek to go fishing or ginsenging or four wheeling. The children would go in swimming, or play, some would have their bicycles. Hardly any body would be bored, there was always something to do.
Now I have children of my own and since they were born, every first weekend of July we go the creek camping and they are as excited as was at their age. It makes me feel good to share this with them. It's like a family tradition. I hope that some day in the far off future I can be the older woman that sits and gossips while my grandchildren are off playing. Submitted by Tressa

No comments: