Thursday, March 30, 2006

Bruce, Linda, Ole Jack and Me



As far as back as I can remember, Mom would take me and my brother to Mammy's. We would stay there while Mom went to work. Mammy is my mom's mother. Bruce is Mammy's son and is one year younger than me. Linda is my first cousin and one year older than me. Linda and her three sisters would stay up Mammy's, since Linda was around our age. Bruce, Linda, and me were buddies.
I think it was the summer I turned eight; our favorite place to play was behind the barn. There was these huge rocks we could climb, slide off of then right into the mud. What fun; until the cows came back off the hill and one old mean bull Jack we called him Ole Jack; Lord he was the meanest bull ever.He would stomp and snort and take after you something fierce.
We could always outrun him. Jack had only one eye; the other got poked out by a stick somehow or other. Once we were behind the barn playing our most favorite game war; now that’s when you soak corncobs in a bucket of rain water for a day then you throw them at each other. If you don’t duck soon enough, them wet soggy things would pert near take your head off and leave a big red pump knot on it.
Bruce came up with the idea that he would throw some old hard horse biscuits; now if you don’t know what horse biscuits are, follow a horse around and you will find out. Anyway he threw those things at Linda and me. Luckily we ducked them; boy what fun. We didn’t notice the time and the cows were coming. Ole Jack was up on us before we knew it. We had to run about ten yards to the gate. Ole Jack was stomping and snorting an looking right wild out of his good eye. We ran ;Ole Jack ran ,we made it to the old rusty gate on the back of the barn, all three of us. We hit that gate at the same time and got up on it and the stupid thing came off. It hit the ground with such a clatter it scared Ole Jack half to death. He just stood there. We were so stunned its hard to say who was in more shock, Ole Jack or us.
Submitted by Tressa

No comments: